23 January 2012

Spiritually Threaten

Have you ever questioned whether a Catholic ever experiences their life (and faith) being threaten by another person. You've always seen these movies about a person being possessed and an exorcism needs to be done. But have have you actually witnessed something so real to the movies you see in the theaters/on TV.


I never thought I would witness my personal life being spiritually threatened until May of 2010. After this experience, my husband and I talked about it. I need to back up and start at the beginning of this experience.
_________________________________________________________________________________
One evening in May of 2010

I never thought I would ever have this feeling of unease about a person. Usually I get along really well with a variety of people, but that night....that night was a whole different story.

My family and I went to our church one evening to finish watching Pope John Paul II, a cinematic movie based on the life of the pope, starring Cary Elwes and John Voight. A woman from the Eastern part of Germany was there and she was very out spoken. It was quite hilarious in the beginning when I first met her, but I was also fascinated by her accent so I never really took noticed to her behavior until she pinpointed my husband about being in the military, then I started to feel threatened. I have always been fascinated by other countries and in the way they speak. You learn so much about them and it's just...awesome, but I digress.

Her actions were very spontaneous and very disruptive during the movie and I truly feared for my daughter (my eldest, who was 2.5 at the time). This woman kept shouting out things that had nothing to do with the movie, and still pinpointed my husband the whole time. It was as if she was mentally ill, but maybe didn't know it?

About half way through the movie, she just kept talking right after the actor would talk. People around her would tell her to please be quiet so that they would be able to hear what the actors were saying. At that point she thought a friend of the family had a concealed weapon in her bag and thought she was threatening her and stalking her. By this time I turned around to talk to her to see if she would clam down, but she didn't. It just escalated and she got more out of control. This time one of the elderly stepped up and told her to leave and it just spiraled out of control even more. I was told that she gave the one finger blessing to the people that made sure she walked out of the basement and not into the sanctuary. We locked the doors after she left and the atmosphere seemed much lighter.

On the way back home, my husband was telling me that it seemed like this woman was going through some demonic oppression just by the way she was acting. He told me that during the time she was sitting there, he started praying to Mary and asking for St. Michael's protection. He told me that every time he started his intercession, the woman would speak up, and then he would start it over again, but when he started to say in out audible, but only for his ears, thats when she started to blame our friend about having a concealed weapon. When he told me this, I started to believe that she, too, was going through demonic oppression and was quite glad my husband was with me, saying these prayers and protecting our daughter.

Later, we found out that she has some kind of mental illness and has meds, but does not take them. I believe she has schizophrenia and possible Tourette's syndrome, but that could be her multiple personalities coming about.

I have never witnessed this in my whole 24 years and was really taken aback by it. It is sad to see something like that in a person. To see them lash out at you even when you haven't said or done anything to them.

One thing did come to mind after my husband and I talked about it. You know when a person sneezes or coughs, you would say 'bless you'? He once told me that instead of Bless you or God Bless, you should say 'God Bless You'. He said that if someone every truly gets taken over by demons or some kind of demonic power, that if you say those three simple words, it would be as if they got stung and would back away from you. In a sense, it's like a miniature exorcism without having to call a preist to perform one.

_________________________________________________________________________________


And so, I leave you with something to remember: whenever someone sneezes, coughs, or closing an e-mail, remember 'God Bless You.'

No comments:

Post a Comment